Saturday, July 19, 2008

My first post...one month down :)

Hey Everyone!

Sooo...i survived a month in Mauritania. I've pretty much been sick since I got here, but I am still pushing through. Mauritania is beautiful. I am currently in Rosso for my pre-service training. I am staying with a host family and they are absolutely wonderful. My host mother's name is Muena. She doesn't speak any English, just Hassaniya, which is the local language that I am learning. It is 75% arabic so once I swear in I plan on hiring an Arabic tutor to learn the difference. My host father's name is Sidi, he received his degree in the US at the Unversity of Arizona back in the 80s so his English is still pretty good. I have two sisters, Ramla and Binta. Ramla is 21 and Binta is 15.

Funny story of what happened to me the other night....

So its hot here. Duh, desert. I took a shower before I went to sleep and I'm enjoying the cold water, when I look up and see freakin GODZILLA. The biggest lizard I have ever seen in my life! Kimodo dragon style. So i scream, I dont even turn off the water, grab my towel and run out to my family and yell "Haayva! Haayva! Il Kebiina!" which means I'm scared! The bathroom! so my Dad goes in and he starts laughing. So he takes Yotox, which is the insecticide here (mind you i have no idea how im alive today. They spray that crap like its air freshener) and sprays the crap out of the lizard. Then he takes the lizard with a broom and brings it outside.

So now my family jokes me all the time because I am scared of lizards. I'm pretty much scared of everything that crawls, anyone who knows me knows that :) and the bugs here are BEASTS. Cockroaches, flies (millions of them), mosquitos, beetles, locusts, ants, you name it, they have it.

Also, my neighbor bought a cow. And i feel bad for it, but I can't wait til they kill it bc its so LOUD. Like it's miserable bc its tied to a post and it just moo's all night long.

Anyway, all is well so far. Aside from being sick, I have really been hangin in there and enjoying the culture. Everyone is so nice.

I had my evaluation a few days ago and I received a 96 out of 100. They said I need to talk more...who would of thought right? Haha.

Anyway, I love and miss you all and I pray that all is well. Right now I am at the PC center and I find out my permanent site on Monday. I will write more once I find out where I am going for site visit!!!

Love always,
Charlotte

1 comment:

randy said...

Really like your blog!! miss you, hope you get your package soon. I'll send you a line this weekend.
Love Uncle Randy